Spirit Airlines and Frontier Airlines are to merge, forming the fifth-largest airline in the United States.
Frontier and Spirit are the two largest low-cost airlines in the US, and have merged in a deal totalling $6.6 billion. Frontier is to control 51.5% of the new merged airline, with Spirit Airlines controlling the remaining 48.5%.
This merger is likely to bring a series of benefits for customers. As well as extending ultra low-cost fares to more travellers across the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, we anticipate better connections for previously underserved communities and lower volume cities. Considering the integration of both carriers' networks, it is expected that the new merged operator will offer more than 1000 daily flights to over 154 destinations in 19 countries. Using aviation intelligence and data from our InsightIQ platform, we have analysed the likely makeup of the new Frontier-Spirit fleet, examined the order books and evaluated likely CO2 emissions.
Fleet data from InsightIQ reveals that Frontier and Spirit operate similar all-Airbus fleets, meaning fleet integrations are likely to prove straight forward. The Airbus A320-200, A320-200N and A321-200 are in service with both airlines, with Spirit additionally operating the Airbus A319-100. The order books of both airlines are consistent with the in-service fleets. The most notable order being for a significant number of Airbus A321-200neo aircraft.
Spirit Airlines has an older average than Frontier, and the integration of the fleets will lower the average fleet age of the newly formed airline down to 4 years. This would represent one of the youngest fleets in the United States.
InsightIQ's Carbon Emissions Calculator reveals that the operations of the newly merged airline are expected to be among the most efficient in the United States, and below the average CO2 emissions of the market average on a per-seat per-mile and total CO2 basis.
We can identify and combine the top 30 city pairs flown by both operators in January 2022 to indicate a likely typical monthly performance for the combined operations. Sectors from Philadelphia and Orlando currently make up
The operational consistency of the two carriers doesn't end at the fleet level. Using analysis from InsightIQ's flights module, it can be observed that there is a substantial amount of crossover in operating locations such as Orlando and Philadelphia, and that select unique hubs including Denver (Frontier) and Fort Lauderdale (Spirit) will expand the network further.
IBA's InsightIQ analysis platform flexibly illustrates multiple asset, fleet and market positions, actual and potential, to inform client choices and identify acquisition opportunities. Immediate access to crucial aircraft, engine, lease rate and fleet data eases appreciation of historic and future aircraft concentrations and operator profiles.